Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Thank You,

The ocean reflects my mood with its color. The sky mirrors the sea. Both a gun-metal gray, in sync with how I feel. Its early April, a day that in the coming years I will not forget. My parents divorced today, and for condolence I have turned to the coast. The break from land to water seems to understand its symbolic look. My family is breaking in two, and once again I’m looking for the answers in the waves.
It’s clean, but foggy. Chest-high rollers calmly crumble into foam of white-water before re-forming into the shore-break. It’s far from perfect, but perfection is something I don’t need. I unload my single-fin egg and without a leash, plunge into the brine. I sit alone for a while not even paddling at the available swells. Just being immersed, my mind awash with pictures and talks of my two new families. As my mood darkens even more, a four foot siren lures me away with a lone peak about to break. Two swift strokes and I am gliding across the smooth face of my own personal counselor. No turns, just slow, effortless movement on water. I kick out and slowly make my way back to my tranquil state of mind.
The surf erases my worries, my fear and most of all my hurt. And for a while, I feel better. Somehow lulled into a sense that everything will be ok. And for this I thank you, giving praise to something that has been; a parent, a teacher, a friend, an addiction and a blessing. Nature’s therapist and my personal savior; the ocean, the sea and the waves.




Thank you,

ross

No comments:

Post a Comment